Saturday, July 30, 2005

"The Aristocrats" is everywhere!

If you pay any attention at all to the internet and pop culture, you have heard of "The Aristocrats" by now.

It is a movie by Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller fame) and his film-maker friend Paul Provenza.

I have read about it in no less than three separate media venues in the last four days. First, it was on Entertainment Weekly's website, then on Slate, and since then in an extended Entertainment Weekly article.

It truly seems that this movie is now everywhere. People are even trying to explain why exactly it's so funny.

And that is odd, since it is not a big budget movie, has no real structure, and its content--as every article and review bends over backwards to point out--is constructed from the most hideous and vile comedic performances you could even begin to imagine.

And yet, everyone says that it is simultaneously awful and funny.

I have to admit, it makes me wonder . . .

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

If you need further proof that I am a parent, when I first typed this post I put "The Aristocats" in every instance.

The movie I am discussing has absolutely NOTHING to do with that Disney animated movie.

9:46 AM  
Blogger flipper said...

Ha! That's funny. And yes, I DO need further proof that you're a parent. The actual children just aren't convincing enough.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home