Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Dominic Monighan

Some thoughts and random impressions on tonight's episode of Lost.

Dominic Monighan might just be the best actor on the cast. I know, I know . . . I'm biased as a LOTR fan, but he did a good job tonight with some material that could and did careen off into craziness.

What I mean is, and I don't know if this is true of J.J. Abrams generally, there were some bits tonight that just was too ridiculous. The whole parallel between crawling through darkness and the moth struggling out of its cocoon? The symbolism with rebirth--again with the tunnel crawling. The moth leading the way? I half expected Gandalf to grab the moth and start whispering in its ear.

Does Mr. Abrams always smack you about the head with his heavy-handed symbolism? Have I been blinded by Ms. Garner's latex dresses and not noticed? If so, my honorary TWoP badge of snark should be immediately revoked.

Also, could Sawyer be any more of a dick? Judging by next week's preview, not just yet. Is the worst yet to come? And does he taint everyone who (like I) loves Watership Down? Wait!! Maybe he's supposed to be General Woundwort?! Hmmm . . . must consider.

And one other thing before I forget--what should we think about Michael looking (longingly?) at Sun when Walt asked if they could live in the caves? Doesn't he remember that just last week he was yelling about how "where I come from, black people and Koreans don't get along!!"

But I don't mean to be overly critical. In general, it is still a compelling show and I like it lots, really!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home