Friday, December 10, 2004

Why do you make me cry Johnny Depp??

As a birthday treat, I was taken to the movies by Hammer (a nickname that is temporary, but not yet replaced), Jack Thunder, and Raisinette. We went and saw "Finding Neverland" starring the devilish cutie Johnny Depp. I was not really sure what to expect from the film, and had only a little bit of an idea of what it was about. Going in, I knew that it had something to do with J.M. Barrie and his classic work "Peter Pan." Beyond that, I was clueless. I was very surprised at the story that was told and, having heard/read very little about Barrie's life, the complexities which surrounded the creation of the Peter Pan story. I don't want to give anything away, especially because I want to encourage people to see the film, but I will try and give you an idea of what the film was like.
It is set in England during the early 1900s and follows Barrie as he tries to get his career back on track after a failed play that he had written. As inspiration, he takes walks in the park and tries to get his writer's juices flowing. There he meets the Llewelyn Davies family, whose matriarch (played by Kate Winslett) is a lovely widow with four young boys. I must say that those four kids were some of the best child actors I have ever seen. Usually I am annoyed by children in movies, but I thought these kids were great. Apparently all four had very little acting experience coming into "Neverland" but it didn't show. One of the kids, Freddie Highmore who plays Peter Llewelyn Davies, will appear as Charlie in the remake of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" also starring Johnny Depp.
Getting back on track: Barrie is enthralled with the family, especially the children (and not in that sick and twisted Lewis Carroll way). He is inspired by them and their lives to write the play "Peter Pan". The connections between the kid's lives and the events of the play are made clear throughout the movie, as Barrie jumps from the real world to his fantasy land of Neverland. It is a beautifully made film with moments of creative genius. And, without giving away the ending, though it did make me (and a few others) cry, I was very happy with the film. I recommend it to you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home