Monday, December 06, 2004

National Treasure. Is it?

Raisinette, Dr. Actually and Mrs. Actually joined me a few weeks ago for a trip to the theater. We went and saw the #1 box office smash "National Treasure" (which has now pulled in over $110 million). Word on the street was that the movie was ho-hum at best, filled with little edge of your seat action or suspense. Many of my fellow co-workers looked down upon the film (snubbed it even) but I resisted their negative talk and happily paid my $6.50. And I have to say that I was not disappointed. I do not feel like it was a waste of money or time. In fact, I was very happy to see the movie. Even its campy or silly moments were not all that bad. As a whole it was entertaining, which is really all I ask of such a film. Surely it had no Oscar-caliber acting or directing, but it was a good story told at a fast pace with a good cast. For anyone who is a lover of antiquities and history, this movie is especially appealing. The use of history and historical documents (including the Declaration of Independence) was part of what I liked about the film. Call me nerdy, but that was my favorite part. I am a fan of Nicholas Cage and would not think negatively of him at all because of this film. It was a simple, fun, and entertaining jaunt that offered up exactly what it promised: a good time.

Spec

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

You wrote:
"For anyone who is a lover of antiquities and history, this movie is especially appealing."

I read:
"For anyone who is a lover of antiquities and history, this movie is especially APPALLING."

Then I realized my misteke.

Does this indicate my position on the film. Not really. I "might" see it on DVD someday, but I could easily take a miss altogether.

What bothers me most? During promotional commercials run in continuous loop on Disney Channel (corporate synergy I am sure), Mr. Cage tells the cutely Mouseketeerish 14-yr-old "interviewer" that he does believe such treasure and hidden trickery could exist.

Really Mr. Cage? Are you so dense or simply kissing up to stupid reviewer in mindless press junket? Come on . . . impressionistic children and their incensed parents are watching you and mentally revoking your well-deserved Oscar.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home