Wednesday, November 03, 2004

More BK zaniness

I have made several references lately about Burger King's advertising campaigns.

The company is clearly attempting to be edgy and draw a younger crowd of hamburger lovers.

Well, here I tell you that there may be no end to this rabbit hole that BK is going down into.

On television they have re-embraced the Burger King, as I commented on a while back and referenced in this link to Slate. But that is on TV. The beauty of the internet is the rules are different and so may be the outcome.

You have probably seen, via me or your own surfing the website on the Subservient Chicken. (I had forgotten that this site is kind of creepy and maybe a bit skeevy to watch at work. Just watch your back okay?) Kind of twisted, but the idea is, you can "have it your way." Funny right? Well, the chicken nuttiness continues recently on a new theme.

BK is promoting two new chicken sandwiches by touting it as a pay-per-view fight between two dudes in chicken suits. The commercials are on TV, but to see the fight you go to the website. Even if you don't go to the site because of bandwidth issues or whatever, take my word for it--its weird and sort of oddly inspired at the same time.

But that's not all. Tonight I saw something else BK and internet related: Ugoff.com. I only caught the tail end of this commercial, but the impression that I got was of a Euro-trash sort of character. Be careful also, this website probably has sound, so plug the headphones in if you are at work. I won't spoil the contents of the website for you as I see my role here as an enabler, not an explainer.

Ultimately, what's my point?

I'm saying is that it is strange and eye-catching. Does it sell fast food? Don't know? Is it interesting advertising? Yes . . . for me. Judge for yourself.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I spent a few minutes this morning exploring Ugoff a bit more.

The rabbit hole goes deeper than I could have imagined. If you have the time, click some links to see where Ugoff.com takes you. You "might" like it, but I don't know.

I also noticed that BK is using the chickenfight.com stuff to quietly start appealing to the Hispanic fast food community. The wrestling mask on the two chickens are not dominatrix wear but Hispanic wrestling masks worn by individuals known as luchadors.

You're welcome.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home