Friday, January 21, 2005

I didn't much care for "Garden State"

That's right--you heard me. Kev and I watched it last night and I was a bit underwhelmed.

The good:
I really like Zach Braff and think that he has a lot of potential. This movie, while not original, was at least derivative of a great movie. I liked the leisurely pace of it. I also liked the shots--very spare, very realistic, and he nailed his post-high school friends. Tidy! The music was good, too.

The bad:
This is just me, but I don't have much patience for 20-something angst. It's not that I think it's stupid or trivial or mundane. It's more like I've been through it and I'm glad it's over. If you are currently in your twenties, mark my words--no matter how original you think you are, you will come to realize that the issues with which you struggle so mightily in this decade are remarkably similar to what many, many other twentys people struggle with. And then you get REAL issues. (I'm just kidding!) I say this with the full realization that people younger and older than I am are reading this and saying, "30-something angst is just as, if not more, tedious." Fair enough! As I told Kevin after the show, "I probably would have enjoyed this a lot more 14 years ago." The issues just don't span the decades. Oh, let's hope they don't, anyway. (If you want to see a similar genre film that covers people in their 30s and 40s, especially people without kids, see Sideways. Especially if you're a sodded p-hound.)

The major, major bad, bad aspect was Natalie Portman. I think she's the most boring thing! She came across as a run-your-fingers-down-the-blackboard annoying 15 year-old. She was completely unbelievable as a love interest for Zach. She's pretty and all, but she wore double French braids and little cargo pants and had a pink room and a wittle bwankie and, really, is that sexy? If it is, get thee to a therapist pronto. There are so many actresses that I would just want to take a love bite out of--what's her name from Titanic (Winslet!), oh who else . . . I can't think of anyone right now! Dangit! But I know they're out there. Maybe my problem is that I'm not attracted to much younger people, and there's probably a dearth of really good and sexy--not just pretty--young actresses out there, but Natalie Portman is about as sexy and talented as a bale of straw. To me. And try as I might've to overcome my prejudices, she darn near ruined it for me.

So there ya go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home