Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Music review

A while back I said I would review new music as it came out (or I heard it). That fell apart pretty quickly. Now I'm back with another review. Through the magical file-sharing properties of iTunes I have tapped into a nearly endless supply of unknown, unheard-of music. There are a lot of bands I know nothing about and hope to remedy that here. I will be listening to (at least) one new album a day while at work and will write a short review of it. Enjoy! And let's hope this one lasts longer than the first, aborted attempt.


"Funeral" by Arcade Fire

I believe that Jack Thunder and I were discussing this CD a little while back. Neither of us had heard much of it but were both intriqued. Well JT, it's a go. I loved it. There was something familiar about it (see Franz Ferdinand) and something fresh as well. The only downside to the album is that it feels too short. There are 10 songs spread out over 50 minutes, but it feels much shorter. In the end, however, I will give it a 4 out of 5 on the newly created Specometer.

Specometer scale:
1-Pure drivel crap (any Spears or Simpson)
2-Only good as background music, if at all
3-Solid but not exceptional
4-Very well done
5-Perfection (there won't be many of these)

*Note: there are also half grades (2.5, 3.5, etc.) which I will use at certain times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home