Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Another set of reviews

Kaiser Chiefs “Employment”
Half of this album is nice Brit Pop electronic exploration, half is pure crap. The former songs are entertaining; the latter are just hovering above annoying. For example: while the first track (Everyday I love you less and less) is quirky and fun, track 4 (Na Na Na Na Naa) is just plain bad. And the bad far outweighs the good on this one. I’m giving it a 1.5.

Death in Vegas “Scorpio Rising”
With a vocalless fervor, Death in Vegas comes streaming into your ears with ease. The musical experimentation is a little forced, but the tunes prove themselves to be worthwhile. A peppier version of Explosions in the Sky, a more subdued version of Karen O, it’s definitely worth a listen. While slightly self-indulgent, it’s still entertaining. I give it a 3.5.

Baby Bird “Ugly Beautiful”
When the members of Hanson are in their 30s and have been through a few stints in drug rehab centers and mental institutions I think that this is what they’ll sound like. That, surprisingly, isn’t a death sentence. The songs are a mix of pop-y, cute, bright melodies with a slightly trippy Dave Matthews Band feel and an overall oozing sarcasm and bitterness. Even with such an odd mix of emotions, the album remains wholly likeable, even endearing. I think I like it more than I should. One thing separating Baby Bird from the Hansons and DMBs of the world are their somewhat crude lyrics and sexual overtones. So, to quote one song, “why don’t you lick my candy, girl?” Or, if that’s not enough: “Jesus ain’t a man, she’s my girlfriend.” For those lyrics alone I can forgive some of the sillier beats. I’ll give it a 3.5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home