Monday, September 12, 2005

The mysterious alchemy of musical acceptance

I was just kind of struck by something and though I would put up a brief post on it (since work is going along fairly well today and I am not in a flop sweat of anxiety).

I hadn't used the iPod much since our trip to SF and started picking it up a bit more over the weekend. More than once I gravitated back to Coldplay's "X & Y" CD to listen to.

It started a bit on Saturday, kind of solidified on Sunday, but really just nailed me a few minutes ago . . . I finally like this album.

Now, leave aside your own feelings about Coldplay, "X & Y", Chris, Gwyneth, Apple, etc. and just think about this. Do you like albums instantly or do they grow on you? I am sure the answer is both, depending on the album. This one just kept steadily working at me and though I don't precisely know why it happened, it has won me over. I was underwhelmed when I got it in June but kept at it.

Some albums had me on first go through, some only a few songs truly win me over, and some never quite make it.

But what albums did you love from day 1 and which albums have you had to fight to accept?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

It is a mystery indeed. I'm guessing it has something to do with the complexity of the music. Some songs (unfortunately the ones that tend to get the most airplay) you hear the first time and you've heard all of it. Others require repeated listening to even begin to hear the textures and colors you may have missed while paying attention to something else. Critics used to talk about the shock of the new, when something like an abstract painting is hard to enjoy because there's no context for connecting with it. I'd better stop now before I gag on my own erudition.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Spec said...

I, like Jack, will just offer up a list.

Liked from first listen:
Elliott Smith
Mountain Goats
Counting Crows
DCFC/Postal Service/ATQ
Neutral Milk Hotel

Took a little while:
Belly
John Vanderslice
Destiny's Child (just seeing if you're paying attention)
Rufus Wainwright
Weezer's "Pinkerton"


There are plenty more for each list, but I didn't want to bore you all.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

I stand corrected.
Liked from the start:
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
Alan Parsons Project
Bonnie Raitt
Loudon Wainwright

Took a while:
Cowboy Junkies
The Clash
Mothers of Invention
Blind Faith

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home