Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Kill Bill, vol.2


As I watch KBv2, I get feelings similar to that which I have about William Carlos Williams, poet who wrote "The Red Wheelbarrow."

I've always hated that poem because I felt that it was SO simple and if anyone other than a famous person wrote it, no one would give a good god damn about it. (I wrote a poem to this effect in college.)

Sometimes this is how I feel about Quentin Tarantino. If he hadn't hit it big (and in a stylish way) with "Reservoir Dogs" would we allow him to do the things that he does--the dialogue, the art-for-arts-sake camera angles, etc. I know there is such a thing as paying your dues and earning the right to make the movie you want to make, but it sure seems that famous people get away with stuff that no one else can ever get away with.

And while I'm in a critical mood . . . it has been about two years since I saw KBv1, it seems that I haven't actually waited that long to see the concluding sequel. You see, I saw the whole burying the Bride alive already, it was just presented as last year's season finale of CSI:, in which Nick Stokes (George Eads) was buried alive and the rest of the CSI: team had to find him before his air ran out. Are you surprised that this Very Special Episode was directed by none other than the auteur himself--Mr. Quentin Tarantino. (Did KBv2 not make enough money, so he had to mainstream his idea for the masses?)

Also . . . handy tip #1--if you are ever in a death fight with someone and they try that old trick of shoving your head into the toilet bowl so that you drown. Well, just keep your wits about you long enough to FLUSH the toilet, removing the water and providing the needed oxygen to keep fighting.

Handy tip #2--if the death match continues and your opponent is a) equally skilled at sword-fighting, b) only has one eye, and c) is in a close-quarters standoff with you . . . rip out her good eye (a la Dalton larynx maneuver in Roadhouse) and blind her. Easy huh?

So, okay . . . I was ready to rip Q. for KBv2, but those two elements that I mentioned above (clever) and the end scene where two female assassins are holding guns to each other while trying to decipher how to properly read a pregnancy test . . . well, you've GOT to give the man some credit for surreal creativity.

And so, I have.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Good question. My senior advisor tripped me up once in reading haiku by slipping a poem by a Zen master in with some by her students. I found fault with the poem by the master, thinking it was a lame attempt by some unknown American undergraduate. I guess I was supposed to have more respect. Poetry is funny that way, either you resonate with it or you don't, and on the next reading, you might or might not. I stood in front of a huge and famous painting by Jackson Pollock on Saturday, the kind of modern art about which people say "My six-year-old could do that," and it held my attention for a minute or two but no longer. Is is a Great Painting? Not my taste, whether it's by a Great Painter or not. But I sort of like the Williams poem.

10:34 AM  
Blogger David said...

I say hijack away, but if you REALLY want discussion on this, no one will see it in the comments. Of course, no one but you, me, Lulu, and probably Sven will see it in its own post--but there it is.

But, my original point . . . go and do what you want. This post is communal and no rules. Heck, I haven't even changed the template. It's all about the WORDS, man!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home