Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Long lost reviews

Below are two music reviews that I did a while ago during my music reviewing spat. I forgot that I had written them and never got around to posting them. So, without further ado, here they are. Enjoy.


Caesars “39 minutes of bliss”
“I wanna smoke crack, cuz you’re never coming back.” Those are the lyrics that open Caesars’ miniature opus. It is a constant stream of noise, with steady drum beats and guitar riffs from start to finish. The album, even though it is just under its advertised 39 minutes, is very full. It feels like the band only had 39 minutes of tape left and had to fill every last space of it with music. I like that. The music is a little too punk for my tastes, but I like their attitude and their effort. I’m giving it a 3. An interesting note: the song “Jerk it out” from this album was featured on many of the early iPod Shuffle commercials.

Decibully “City of Festivals”
A quiet, reflective set of sad-sounding songs. With lyrics that are full of lamentation and desire, Decibully could almost be another Ben Gibbard side project. For someone who likes such things (me) this is a great album. Some might find the songs too depressing, but they work for me. The lead singer reaches a little too much for higher notes and puts on too much of a breathy air, but the music works well to overcome this flaw. I will say that this is not a great album to listen to near the end of workday when you want to just go home, it’s too slow for that time of day. Otherwise it is enjoyable. I’ll give it a 3.5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home